Whoever wants to be great among you will be your servant. Whoever wants to be first among you will be the slave of all, for the Human One didn’t come to be served but rather to serve and to give his life to liberate many people. Mark 10:43b–45 CEB
In July 2018, Reuben and his family accepted the call to establish the Loop Church of the Nazarene in downtown Chicago. This marks the first official presence of the Church of the Nazarene here since 1906. And, with the organization of the Loop Nazarene Compassionate Ministries, Inc. on October 13, 2018, “LoopNaz” (for short) became the first ever Nazarene Compassionate Ministry center in Chicago city limits.
Prior to founding LoopNaz, Reuben served the Hyde Park area for four years through the Reach77 Network in conjunction with his studies at McCormick Theological Seminary. He and his wife Stephanie have been living and serving through urban missions in Chicago since they both graduated from Olivet Nazarene University in 2011. In that time, Reuben has also completed graduate studies in music through the Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University.
Reuben is an active professional singer, educator, researcher, and writer. He is currently working on two books with fellow Olivet faculty members. And he continues to perform in opera productions, recitals, and concerts throughout the country.
Inquiring minds may also wish to know that Reuben is a member of the White Castle Craver’s Hall of Fame class of 2012. (It’s a heart-warming story that might just make you hungry.)
Reuben and Stephanie host Sunday gatherings in their home with their son Corban and their cat Tibbs.
The Loop Nazarene Compassionate Ministries, Inc. Board of Directors
- Reuben L. Lillie, chairperson
- Amanda Hogan, secretary
- Don Wilson, treasurer
- Cris Allen
- Elliot Johnson
- Scott E. Long
Ex officio officers
- Larry D. McKain, District Superintendent of the Chicago Central District Church of the Nazarene
- Jay Height, USA/Canada Regional Director of Nazarene Compassionate Ministries, Inc.
- John C. Bowling, President of Olivet Nazarene University
- Lori Lightfoot, Mayor of the City of Chicago
- Byron Sigcho-Lopez, Alderman of Chicago’s 25th Ward
- Sophia D. King, Alderman of Chicago’s 4th Ward
- Brendan Reilly, Alderman of Chicago’s 42nd Ward
- Dennis Deer, County Board Commissioner of Cook County’s 2nd District
- Bill Lowry, County Board Commissioner of Cook County’s 3rd District
Bylaws of the Loop Nazarene Compassionate Ministries, Inc.
Please contact us to connect with our pastor and other leaders.
Our Student Leaders
Elise is a senior at Olivet Nazarene University from Oak Lawn, IL. From December 2018 through January 2019 Elise served with LoopNaz in partial fulfillment of her cross-cultural field experience for her Bachelor of Arts in Intercultural Studies.
As part of her field studies, Elise kept an online journal. Please read and pray along with us. Thanks Elise!